Moving? Here are some tips!
Moving.com - Packing tips and tricks, packing calculator, weight and volume calculator.
Homefair Moving Tips - Moving calculators, storage info, packing tips, and more.
- Post Office - Give forwarding address, 4-6 weeks
- Charge accounts, credit cards
- Subscriptions: notice requires 6-8 weeks
- Friends and relatives
Medical, Dental, Prescription Histories:
- Ask Doctor and Dentist for referrals, transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, x-rays
- Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
- Get pets records and a letter of reference to a new vet
- Obtain school records for your children
- Veterans notify your draft board or VA office
- Check to see if your will must be rewritten when moving across state lines
Dont Forget to:
- Empty freezer
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator
- Have appliances serviced for moving
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving
- Refill drug prescriptions
- Have car tuned up
On Moving Day:
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover cost of moving
- Carry jewelry and important documents yourself
- Plan for transporting of pets
- Let close friends or relatives know the route and schedule you will travel
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves, and attic
- Leave old keys, garage door openers, broiler pans, landscape/house plans and instructional manuals needed by new owner with Realtor or in kitchen drawer
At Your New Address:
- Obtain certified check or cashier's check necessary for closing Real Estate Transaction (check with title/escrow company for details)
- Check on service of telephone, gas, electricity, water, and garbage. Check pilot light on stove, hot water heater, and furnace. Have appliances checked.
- Ask mailman for any mail he may be holding for your arrival
- Have a new address recorded on driver's license
- Visit city offices and register for voting
- Register car within 5 days after arrival in state or a penalty may have to be paid when getting new lisence plates
- Obtain inspection sticker and transfer motor club membership
- Apply for state Driver's license
- Register children in school
- Arrange for medical services: doctor, dentist, vet, etc.
- Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city
- Arrange credit references
- Notify company of new location for coverage: life, health, fire, and auto
- Gas, light, water, telephone, cable
- Get refunds on any deposits made
- Laundry, newspaper, changeover
- Ask about regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags, etc.